News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

black seawolf, odd seconds hand

Started by thesheiladivine, March 21, 2011, 02:30:44 AM

thesheiladivine

Has anyone noticed this black ss seawolf on ebay?  Is that seconds hand normal with the little lume square at the apex?  The owner said it's a late 60s watch with a band made in 5/70.

I think it looks great, but I'd prefer the straight seconds hand.

Ebay # is 250791551010

The guy is selling it from Madrid.

I'm new here.  Thanks to Butch for giving new enthusiasts like me a place to learn more.  I'm looking to buy my first 67-69 ss seawolf with date.

Butch

That second hand is from a GMT. Unlike others on eBay, this would not deter me from bidding on this watch.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

thesheiladivine

It just makes me wonder, if someone put a GMT second hand on top, how many of the parts within the guts aren't original either.

jon p

ask the seller for a movement photo if you  are really interested. i wouldnt turn this one down due to the second hand, the second hand is from a late 60s gmt with the wide blunt hour/min hands. probably nothing changed with the movement.

thesheiladivine

thank you for the advice jon. 

Would it be difficult to find an appropriate sea wolf second hand for this watch if I bought it?

I confess I fell in love with the white background sea wolf from movie Zodiac, but having seen the black background, I think I'd like one of each.  Being authentic, however, is very important to me.

jon p

check with butches watch guy, if you got the watch and had him service it he might have the correct second hand. just remember, he reserves his parts for customers having their watch serviced which is fair i think. you probably would look for YEARS and never locate a second hand on e bay!

thesheiladivine

How do I get in touch with Butch's watch guy?  I'd love to have him service it before I wore it and he could have the GMT 60s second hand.

I guess I need to buy this watch first before I get too involved.  The seller says it'll take up to six weeks to get to the US???

thesheiladivine

The seller says the watch doesn't glow in the dark anymore.  How does that get restored?  Butch's watch guy also?

dawej

If you're not 100% comfortable my advise is to wait. Black faced SW is getting listed on eBay quite often, in various conditions and colors of course. Some got this type of green colored hands and indexes (like this 190513637216), while some other has got more of a yellow/goldish tone (like the one you linked). Personally I think I prefer the latter one.

Cruise the eBay for a couple of weeks and see what it offers. Some watch enthusiasts will say that the hunt is half the pleasure.  ;D

jon p

go to the watch repair section and contact butch, he can give you all the details on contacting BWG. watch can be relumed if glow in the dark is real important to you--get ready--- it is not inexpensive to have done! the original sea wolf lume is a light greenish color, like a mint color. BWG uses this, he just relumed my SW bezel, that the lume long ago fell out of! if i need a watch i can really see in the dark i just wear my 8000 series luminox stainless steel navy seals, you can tell the time from across the room!! best thing, the brightness NEVER goes dim. the SW you are looking at IS a nice one even with the second hand issue, i wouldnt pass it up for that. you may get a decent price also cause all the purists know its the wrong hand!!!    GOOD LUCK--the zodiac bug reallyy has bitten you good--be happy, its a fantastic feeling.

thesheiladivine

Thanks again, Jon P.

From that GMT he's selling on ebay too right now, 250791556653 , I have to wonder if the GMT second hand used to belong to that sea wolf and vice versa.

jon p

i have both a black and a white dial  SW with date and original JB champion bracelet that BWG just resored for me, metal bezel on the black, gray" plastic" on the white. the white dial is better for my old eyes to see with the black hands. hey, go for it and get one of each! remember, there are also the non date models in both colors.some people like them more. all SWs came with various metal bracelets, the jubilee type and some with the spring loaded  streatch style.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign