News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

brass bezel on gold stencil?

Started by thesheiladivine, April 24, 2011, 02:45:03 PM

thesheiladivine

I'm seeing this picture on the frontpage.  Is this a gold-stenciled seawolf with a brass bezel?   It seems to me that the gold bezels have  less ridges along the edge.

Do people tend to replate the brass so it looks silver again?  Or is that not very effective?  I'm gathering from the previous thread that nickel plating may not be sought after.

jon p

good question!! the bezel shown is the basic sea wolf bezel with the chrome plating removed. you can tell due to the rounded outer edge with fine " teeth". the gold bezel is more squared off on the outer edge with wide spaced teeth. looks a lot like the 70s plastic insert sea wolf bezels. plating can be expensive if you can find some one to do a small job AND usually turns out real shiny which is not correct. i leave mine showing wear, gives them some vintage character!! if bezel spins to freely you can loose it and they arent easy to find replacements. butches watch guy CAN tighten them, he worked wonders on mine, which i bought new in 1968. my bezel was so loose i was afraid to even wear it! i dont know why zodiac resorted to such a crappy bezel on such a nice watch! bean counter probably told owners they could save 2-3 cents a watch with brass in lieu of stainless steel. gee, all the other brands i own have stainless bezels. ok, i am steppin off my tall soapbox!

Butch

That watch picture is of a watch where someone probably lost the solid gold bezel and had replaced it with a plated bezel from a normal Sea Wolf. And now that bezel is very worn. Who knows, maybe because it was cheaper during a service at a jeweler's or even if returned to the factory.

I have tried many things around replating a bezel over the years and nothing worked well or came out looking right. Typically when a bezel is this worn and is replated it then just turns out as a really shiny very worn bezel.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign