News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Rare Seawolf??

Started by smithrjd, March 13, 2012, 10:05:40 PM

smithrjd

I have a watch bought in '72 that appears to be an odd one. Standard Seawolf Automatic with baton hands and a white or neutral dial. The odd thing is the yellow and black checkerboad bezel. I have seen black faced dials but never white or neutral. Stainless strech band, is this special? Going to get it service anyway, just wondering.

jon p

:o :welc   welcome to our forum!! do you have any pics?? did you buy it new? white dial sea wolf is common, BUT yellow checkered bezel is NOT. sounds like you have a nice one, try our watchmaker in CA. go to repair section of forum. he IS THE BEST, the zodiac guru and you will be pleased with his work. there are a lot of people on here that will not let anyone else touch their zodiac, including me! some zodiacs have weird little quirks that some watchmakers dont know about. show us your watch!

smithrjd

Yes I did buy in new at the Navy Exchange years ago in the early 70's. Will have to see if I can figure out how to attatch a picture. The only other yellow cherkerboard bezel watch I have seen had a black dial. Mine is white.

smithrjd

For lack of a picture, there is a "My Watches" section on this website. The last watch in fourth row, is just like mine except mine has a white dial and a expanding stainless steel band. 

Butch

Nice watch Smitty. As for uploading a pic, have you checked this out?

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php/topic,469.0.html
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

smithrjd

I guess that it would be worth servicing. It does run but the stem/date pull out is not right.

smithrjd

Actualloy got a picture to post.... It looks much worse in the pictures than in real life.

Butch

Take a look at the repairs page if you want to get it serviced. That is a rarer piece and would fetch over $500 today. It would make a nice family heirloom once serviced.

smithrjd

The only other one with a yellow/black checkerboard bezel I have seen is the black dialed one on your watches page. I have a couple of other watches collected over my Navy years, an Omega Sea Master early 70's and a Brietling Cronomat mid 90's. Will have to decide which one to get up and running as daily wear watch. Sure wish I still had the box for the Zodiac. Still have the manual but can't find the box anymore.

TJW

Nice watch. I've seen that bezel on a SW with the shovel hands but I can't remember what color the dial was. It's a nice accent and fits that 70's vibe this version gives off.

jon p

:wehe :ur   man, that IS sharp looking, the checkerboard bezel is  fantastic, i dont think many were produced. i have seen a red one also, does anyone know of any other color?

davec73

I thought for the longest time that the ones with a checkerboard bezel were franken jobs but color me misinformed.  That's a beauty btw.  I never thought the stretch oysters bands made it to the 70's and the shovel hand Seawolves, unless it was a case of mix and match.

Butch

And this is why we have the catalogs Dave. It appears in the 1971 catalog on at least one model.

smithrjd

It is stock, as I bought it. Still has the original band. It is marked Zodiac with the symbol on the clasp but it does say Zodiac made in USA under the clasp. It is the "oyster" or strech type.  Got some good info on one of my other Navy career purchases as well. A Omega Sea Master that turns out to a rare one. Known as the "Soccer Timer" From what I'm being told it is worth more than my Breitling Chronomat. Without knowing it, it appears I did pretty good buying watches in my younger years..

smithrjd

Well it as well as my Omega SeaMaster "soccer timer" and a mid 90's Chronomat Breitling are off to BWG to get checked and serviced. Should be there today, REALLY hope USPS does not screw up...

smithrjd

Well the Seawolf should be back from BWG in a couple of weeks. It was a bit rough however. Canon, hour wheel, date adjust and a crystal. Also getting the Omega Seamaster and the Breitling done as well. Will post a picture when it gets back. BWG did offer to buy them if I was to sell...

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign