News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Hilarious sales thread from mwr

Started by davec, January 17, 2010, 08:13:29 AM

davec

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31694

I've handled a few of the gmt's, nice watches but the idea that they're pseudo "Zeniths" or competitors for the Rolex GMT's are ludicrous.  These are quartz watches.  Don't buy into the crazy hype.

The older "real" Zodiac aerospace GMT's are the real goods.

jon p

:P wow-people on this old site are not nice! LMAO--what did zenith have to do with zodiac!? at least here we are nice to each other.  long live original GMTs.

davec

Hey Jon,

I believe Poul stated that Zenith was the manufacturer on those 80's/90's Tag like Zodiacs.  Still doesn't make them Zeniths.

They're fine watches but I guarantee no one ever paid a $1,000 for one nor was it ever a competitor for the Rollie GMT. 

Butch

Kortz is kortz. For $16 you can buy a whole movement and replace it yourself.

Back in the 90's there was a store called Value City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_City) that got a huge lot of these GMTs when Zodiac went bankrupt in '97. They were selling them for $99, in ALL their stores, so any value they ever had was diluted by this. The same holds true of any of the later 1990's models. but especially the GMT as it was offered by this discounter. The only Zodiac I ever saw offered in a store after the bankruptcy, come to think of it.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Melmoth

I've heard about Poul metioning this before, although never seen anthing in writing, I know he is a huge fan of the super sea wolf. Its a bit of a gritty thread to be sure. Truth with those GMT's is that they are a nice watch, however at the end of the day its a quartz movement. These GMT's are built along the same standard as the Red point series of watches. Fit and finish is ok, however they have mineral crystal not sapphire like the gold point or blue point seawolf models.

I've been tempted to pick up a few in the recent past, a seller on ebay italy was letting them off at about €100 euro, if there was an automatic version produced i'd have picked it up in a heatbeat. ;)

Regardless, it was bad form for longview to intrude on a sales thread like that and cynically make comments on the item, if a seller is misinformed a kind pm takes care of it.

jon p

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign