News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Do me a favor.....

Started by Ultra-Vintage, October 06, 2011, 11:12:59 PM

Ultra-Vintage

160661504250  :wtf

.......the next time that you hear a person say that a Zodiac is a "Poor man's Heuer", give them a smack upside the head or perhaps a kick in the a**. 

I have seen this phrase from time to time in online auctions, and it always really aggravates me.  I own several Heuers, and obviously also own several Zodiacs.  There is nothing spectacularly different between the two in terms of construction. Both use ebauches, similar case and dial construction and quality.  I guess the difference is that Heuer is more known, now that is.  They have done alot to market themselves (especially after becoming Tag Heuer), but since that time they have made more than a few models that I wouldnt be so particularly proud of as well and sold them at new retail prices that should make them feel guilty like they were committing a crime.

I like both vintage Heuers and vintage Zodiacs, but a Zodiac is not a "Poor Man's" anything.  If that were the case, I wouldnt be collecting them!

Sorry, had to vent (calmly, quietly puts soapbox away......)

jon p

:ur :agreei :agreei :agreei  UV----well stated brother! tag built that name= expensive aura and they really want you to believe it. ZODIAC doesnt have to take a backseat to anything. hell yeah, thats why i and all our members collect the brand!!!

Butch

That phrase is always misleading UV, juts at NOS or MINT, when they are really not. Once you leave the 60s and 70s though, and come up on the turn of the century, which would you rather own?

Take a look at this picture. I own all 3. The TAG 3000 was last seen in the 1991 catalog, the Zodiac is from some dam time in the 90's, and the Movado Kingmatic came out in 1999 and was very proudly priced.

IMHO the Zodiac is the better built, but I am always afraid of wearing it as something MAY break.

The HEUER (one of the last w/o the Tag name added) has been running since 1996 when bought in Old San Juan and has been worn a LOT. (Yes dear, thank you for buying me this watch. It is my favorite, yeah, uh-huh.) Nothing broken yet. Oh, yeah, if needed I could get the parts for it.

The Movado... ahhh, it is a love-hate relationship. The painted dial with no metal on it really pisses me off. The hands are the worst design, hard to see and tell the time, and the bezel does not turn.  :wtf   But on a leather band it is one of the most comfortable watches I have and in the day time in an office I can usually tell the time. Oh, yeah, if needed I could get the parts for it.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign