News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac triple date moonphase questions

Started by Rotorizor, October 27, 2023, 02:12:02 PM

Rotorizor

Hi everyone.

A while back i discovered the world of Zodiac watches, and have since then fallen in love with this brand. And it has led me to this forum, where i am hoping i can get some answers to a couple of questions that i have, more specifically about the triple date moonphase model. 

Question 1:
I am looking into buying a triple date. I have no particular subject in mind, but want the version that has the black dial, and calibre 74? Automatic. As i am in no position to really be able to buy those that are currently up for sale for 1k-2k$, i would mostly look to buy one in poorer condition to restore myself. As i have not followed the market for these watches over time, i was wondering what would be considered a fair or reasonable amount to pay for a subject like this? I am in no rush, so i would like to be a little more educated before i pull the trigger on one.

Question 2:
I have already a Zodiac Hermetic, with the 70-72 movement in very good condition. Please correct me if i am wrong here, but from my understanding the... lets call it 70 series is all based on the same base movement, just with different iterations of complications. I have also seen different jewels counts on what appears to be the same movement. As i am very well aware of the difficulty in finding spare parts for these watches, i was wondering if parts from the 70-72 would be interchangeable with parts from the triple date movement? This is not something i would ideally want to do. But if need be, it is good to know if it would be an option or not. I will post a picture here of the movement that i already have.

Question 3:
Is there anything i should be aware of, or keep in mind when looking for one of these? From what i have gathered, these came with at least 2 different movements. Is there anything else i might not be aware of?

radzod

Quote from: Rotorizor on October 27, 2023, 02:12:02 PMAs i have not followed the market for these watches over time, i was wondering what would be considered a fair or reasonable amount to pay for a subject like this?

You should expect to pay in the $300-500 range for a project moonphase Zodiac.

YuriyV

Quotefrom my understanding the... lets call it 70 series is all based on the same base movement, just with different iterations of complications.

It is correct statement. All automatic calibers with 21600bph are based on Zodiac 70: 70, 70-72, 72, 72B, 74, 75, 75B, 76.
Higher beat (36000bph) at 80% same as well except balance, 4th wheel, escapement, mainspring, main plate and train bridge. These are 78-79, 86, 88, 88D

Rotorizor

Thank you for your replies. 300-500$ for a project watch i could do, and this is why i wanted to ask, as i found 700-800$ some are charging very steep for a non runner.

And thank you for confirming what i thought to be correct YuriyV :)

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign