News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Cal 70 question

Started by jmh86325, January 12, 2013, 02:20:47 PM

jmh86325

Opened up the back of my newest acquisition a white faced SW and it is a cal 70...is it supposed to hack

Butch

Some do and some don't, only your watchmaker can tell you for sure.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jmh86325

Butch,
do you have the production dates for a no date 70 cal sea wolfs

Butch

Nateb123

Quote from: jmh86325 on January 12, 2013, 02:20:47 PM
Opened up the back of my newest acquisition a white faced SW and it is a cal 70...is it supposed to hack

From what I know, Cal 70 didn't hack.  In the Cal 7x series of movements, only the ones with a "B" suffix (which stood for quickset date) had hacking seconds.  The exception was the 78 as it was hi beat movement and all hi-beat movements hacked.

Butch

Nate, not trying to embarrass you at all sir and thank you for this opportunity!

According to the Service Manuals on ZodiacCatalogs.com....

"From what I know, Cal 70 didn't hack."
Untrue.

"In the Cal 7x series of movements, only the ones with a "B" suffix (which stood for quickset date) had hacking seconds."
Untrue, but right that the B was for the quick date change.

"The exception was the 78 as it was hi beat movement and all hi-beat movements hacked."
Like Nate, I have never seen this hi-beat, or the 86 or the 88, that did not hack. These movements were used in the very late 60's and throughout the 70's. there are at least 9 versions of the 7X caliber before they moved into the 8X caliber.   (Pssst! the short-lived caliber 61 hacked, if the parts were in place. But that is for another day.)

Now, the early calibers seemed to at times have been bought by Zodiac without the hacking parts in place. As a matter of fact, some of them were a base movement without even the cutout for the hacking parts in base plate. UV may be able to add more on this. I have seen hacking and non-hacking Sea Wolfs made throughout the 60's.

Ready for the funny part? After quick look, starting with the 1950's catalog and working through them, I get all the way to the 1971 catalog before I can even find a reference to the "second setting feature ("hack")" on the Sea Wolf page!

Nateb123

Cool!  All the 7x movements I've seen have not hacked.  Not even had the cutout like you said.  Funny that '71 is the first mention of hacking seconds.  Isn't that when they put shovel hands on the old SW and gave it the 72 B?

Also, nice plug for ZodiacCatalogs.com  ;)

Butch

Quote from: Nateb123 on January 15, 2013, 11:13:00 PM
Also, nice plug for ZodiacCatalogs.com  ;)

<sigh> I keep trying to tell you guys... It cuts out at least 80% of the guess work "you" keep coming up with.

Some of the VZ Team Members have used it to prove ME wrong in the past.  :what

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign