News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Identify: Zodiac Chronograph 7721?

Started by lukas, December 01, 2010, 06:29:39 AM

lukas

Hi!

I just bought this watch on eBay and was wondering if anyone can help me identify it and maybe put a manufacturing date on it.

The case is marked on both sides between the lugs with 7721 on one side and 11xxxx on the other side. I guess the latter is the serial?

The movement is marked Zodiac LTD. Seventeen 17 Jewels Unadjusted. Swiss. 50. KXF.
I can also see a small mark of some kind with 7730 underneath.

The seller said it was a Valjoux movement.

The caseback don't seem to be original as it is marked Clebar Watch Co. Inc. Swiss. 59x xxx. Also some kind of serial?

And a last question. Is dangerous to wear this watch since it has quite some wear? I heard that you can develop allergies if the chrome is worn off. Is this true?

Is there some way to restore the case? How much would that normally cost?

Thanks!

Sea Wolf

Nice watch.

Here is a page from the manual and shot of mine:

webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

lukas

It seems like you have the exact same watch. Right?

How does your caseback look? Is it similar to mine?

Was Clebar and Zodiac some how related back in the days?

As far as I can see from that manual the model that resembles mine seems to be a 4551 and not 7721. Is the 7721 on the watch a modelnumber?

Thanks!

Sea Wolf

I have not opened mine up but it looks to be just like yours.

Zodiac made Clebar watches from what I know.  Butch knows more about the relationship.
I am not sure what the 7721 means.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

lukas

Ahh, okay. Well, if it looks to be the same then it could probably be a legit caseback for this watch. I was thinking that a previous owner might misplaced the original caseback and then found a Clebar caseback that fit. But I don't know.

Do you have any idea how much it is to get the case replated? Do you think it is bad to replate the case or should I keep it in this condition?

Thanks!

Butch

Clebar was made by Zodiac for the North American distributors of the brand. Sometimes over the years watchmakers would intermix parts and even the factory was known to do so to fill a production run.

Re-plating is not cheap. There is a lot of prep work and then the platting costs. If you want to send me an email I will give you info on BWG to see if they can help you.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

lukas

Since I bought this watch I haven't used it once. It winds and works fine, but I think it is need of a service since the big second hand does not reset right. It ends up between 1 and 2.

Otherwise it seems to work fine. I don't know if it is the size of the watch or something else that has made me not wear it.

What do you think a service would be and what do you think this watch could be worth if I were to sell it today?

Thanks!

Butch

Was that from auction # 160498360818?

lukas

Quote from: Butch on May 14, 2011, 07:57:50 AM
Was that from auction # 160498360818?

Yes, that's right! Sadly I cannot see the auction description and I can't remember if it said anything important about the watch.

What do you think?

Butch

I think not as much as you paid for it. Sorry.

dawej

If I may ask, how much did you pay for it?

lukas

Yeah, I don't think I will get that much either, but if anyone is interested you can just give me an offer by PM.

Right now it's on a new black Hirsch Tornado leather strap, looks like a Hirsch Professional Shark with the double ridge only a little bit lighter.

As soon as I have taken some new photos I will put it up in the sales corner. But as I haven't worn it at all it should be looking the same as the pictures in this thread.

jon p

check our watchmakers schedule of prices, a chrono service can get up in the 300.00 range depending on what it needs.plating the case ,well you probably wont want to do that! you get to the point where with all a watch needs you have to decide is it really worth the big outlay.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign