News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Need enlightening

Started by MCS, July 26, 2011, 01:18:45 PM

MCS

Hello All

I've had my Grandad's old Zodiac for a few years now & wondered if anyone could shed any light as to the model, age etc?

I've attached, hopefully, a couple of pics.  I tend to wear it most days so apologies for the well used look!

Regards

Mark

Butch

That is a 1960's Goldenline dress model. Nice watch. Read the repairs section though, they were designed to be serviced every 3-5 years. That will make a very nice family heirloom.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

MCS

Thanks for this Butch - good to know its actually a genuine bona fide model

As per the sticky at the top of the general board, should i wind this watch every morning?

An i right in saying it should turn in an anti-clockwise direction?

Thanks
Mark

Butch

Winding is a good think, per the sticky. It winds clockwise, but you can wind it counter, you will no hurt it.

Have you had it serviced?

MCS

Hello Butch

The odd thing is that mine turns anti-clockwise (towards me when on my wrist) very freely but, will not turn clockwise. Theres too much resitance there.

It was serviced about 6 years ago. Time keeping is ok, loses around a minute a day i guess.

Mark

Butch

That is not right for a Zodiac movement. Service every 3-5 years, or sooner if needed, and it is. That will probably have a caliber 7x movement and it should wind clockwise. Unless the movement was replaced along the way...

UV, any thoughts here?

MCS

You have me a tad worried now.

If it's safe & easy enough to do - I can take the back off & check the movement inside?

Butch

If you don't scratch it all to hell and back. I dunno man, I have never seen any Zodiac that wound counter clockwise. If it works and you're happy, just move on I guess.

zaniac

Hi and welcome to the site!
I had the exact same watch and it wound clockwise. Of course, it being an automatic, if you wear it every day, the rotor would probably keep the watch wound enough. I had mine serviced by Butch's Watch Guy and it looked and operated even better.
I also had a similar looking Zodiac Glorious that would not wind clockwise because it had been over wound at some point. However, if I wore it regularly, it would keep the time fairly accurately.
Hope this helps and once again, welcome!
Chris

Ultra-Vintage

The watch will wind away from you (in a motion towards the top), and will just slip when winding towards you.  If it will not wind when turning the crown away from you, then the winding is seized from needing a service or there are parts grinding.  Do not force it, you can shear the teeth off of reverser wheels or damage the winding.  I would have someone check it out.

MCS

Thanks all - Through never bothering to wind it, it must have become slightly stiff. All is now fine & winds clockwise :)

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign