News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

I'll scream later...

Started by silverarrow, January 11, 2012, 09:58:04 PM

silverarrow

Hi all, happy new year! Keep up the great work Butch - I've been lurkin.

Well..here I am last week, all excited to pull out my Zodiac, only to have someone (I think it was my wife really), knock it off my desk and onto the tiled floor    ...the result attached.

Called Ron Gordon, driving into NYC tomorrow for him to have a look...anyone with any other ideas on getting a crystal for a '91 point auto chrono?

My guess is no...but, if I don't at least ask, I'll never know.

orangecorallimorph

zaniac

Wow, I'm surprised it broke like that. I would think it would just be a "normal" crystal. Not like the Super Sea Wolf or Astrograpic crystals that have chapters on them. It looks like it's a gold point so it should be a sapphire crystal. More costly, but should be available.
Click the Watch Repair tab at the top for a second opinion on price from the Zodiac guru watchmaker we use here on the site.
Chris

jon p

:shuc                :yeller        oh me, that pic brought tears to my eyes! i never have seen one break like that. chris is right, our watchmaker should be able to handle the repair for you, he IS THE zodiac man! i hope it didnt suffer any internal damage, he can check it out. let us know how it turns out.

silverarrow

I guess she hit pretty hard guys, I was surprised too, 30" high fall, marble floor...I guess it was how she landed - not a good day. When I was younger I probably would have been upset..at 45 with two kids I finally think I've softened a bit...it was an accident - other things more important in life. I read the tab before, but it doesn't read too supportive of the post '90 watches - understandably so. Maybe I can just get an estimate of what it should cost me? If the guru is willing to repair it, then I'll send it there, as I'd rather use someone you guys trust, than even a well rated local repair guy. I'll email Butch.

dmh

Don't discount Ron Gordon yet. There are only 4 people in the US that I would let touch any of my Zodiacs. Ron is one of them along with our guru. Jack at IWW and my secret local watchmaker are the other 2.  All 4 of these have done Zodiac work for me and they all know what they are doing. Each has their own advantages and  with these old watches, price is not always the deciding factor.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Best,
dmh 

Sea Wolf

Yes, contact Butch.

I have a Gold Point Chrono and had the crystal replaced by our watchmaker.
These were not sapphire crystals per the catalogs.  Mineral Glass with some anti-reflective coating.
I don't think my replacement received the anti-reflective coating since you can see reflections off it.
Make sure to ask for that.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

rhsnyc

Hi DMH,
What do you think about Ron Gordons prices?

zaniac

This auction shows a ladies Gold Point with Sapphire crystal written on the back. I've had 1 gold point non-chrono and it also stated Sapphire crystal on the back. Does yours not say that, Sea Wolf?
Maybe some Gold points had it and others didn't. Obviously, silverarrow can just see if his says it on the back.
I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm just interested to know.
Chris

dmh

Ron's prices are a little on the high side, but he has been able come up with some parts that no one else could find. To me that is worth a lot and I don't begrudge him making some money from it. Jack at IWW does the best lume work and case refinishing I know of. His watchmaker does a good job also on COA, but stays backed up. Our resident guru does a good fast job and has access to a lot of NOS Zodiac parts. He will be getting 2 more of mine next week. I probably abuse my local guy. He does a COA on a manual for $40. $10 more for an automatic. He is quick, cheap and nobody can time a watch as good as he can. I gave him a Sea Wolf today and I'm going to see how his case refinishing looks. This will be the first cosmetic work he has done for me.
Best,
dmh

silverarrow

I shipped her out to SF yesterday via Fedex, I'll see what comes back as a quote. My SeaWolf crystal was replaced once already, years ago..and I was told it was sapphire. I'm not a watch guru in the same sense of some of you guys so I didn't know that the reflection was from not being the correct crystal or with the correct coating on a mineral crystal. This probably explains why it shattered the way it did...now I know. I guess I should just be happy with getting it back and wearable, are there no sapphire replacements anywhere?

Thanks Sea Wolf, will do, I'd LOVE to find a sapphire - probably not in the cards though.

Yes zaniac, mine says sapphire on the back.

dmh, I'll give Ron a try on my grandfather's Hamilton...this way, like you, I'll have the feel for repairs on both coasts. I agree, price is not always a deciding factor. The SW may end up going to Ron in the end...I'll see what comes of the estimate and parts available from the guys in SF. You in NYC?

Sea Wolf

Quote from: zaniac on January 12, 2012, 04:17:09 PM
This auction shows a ladies Gold Point with Sapphire crystal written on the back. I've had 1 gold point non-chrono and it also stated Sapphire crystal on the back. Does yours not say that, Sea Wolf?
Maybe some Gold points had it and others didn't. Obviously, silverarrow can just see if his says it on the back.
I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm just interested to know.

No, mine does not say Sapphire crystal on the back.  The 1990's Zodiac catalog also states that my Gold Point Chrono has a mineral crystal with anti-relective coating.

webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

dmh

Quote from: silverarrow on January 17, 2012, 11:42:13 PM
You in NYC?
:what
LORD NO!
I'm one of these Rubes from Georgia.
Best,
dmh

silverarrow

jon p

:wehe  another georgia rube here and proud of it! winder is where IT is  happening! dont know WHAT is happening, but it WILL!!

rhsnyc

Hey,
I am from NYC and just dropped off my 1970 orange and black seawolf to Ron Gordon. I am putting in a nos 72 b 21j movement I picked up online and a nos dial an exact match to my original which was some what faded black and orange dial and a complete service.
His prices are bit on the high side (because in Manhattan) but from what I have been told about his work and after meeting him at his shop multiple times it seems he definitely got his sh*t together! I cant wait to get it back! its just him in the shop and he can get some what busy. Waiting time usually 3 to 4 weeks depending on amount of work flow. He apparently has tons of nos parts in house and has some really nice super clean minty examples of zodiacs on display. 
I Will let you know how it turns out and post before and afters so you can see his work.

"If you want to have a good time...you need to have a good watch!"
RHSNYC

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign