News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

New member looking for advice on purchase.

Started by pknopp, November 11, 2012, 10:34:17 AM

pknopp

Quick background.... I'm not set on brands so much when buying a watch but my main objective have been Omega's. I'm not a had core collector, I just like what I like. Anything I do purchase though is vintage.

I guess I do not even know the accurate name but while looking for a new (old) watch I've been really intruiged with the Zodiac Moon Phase watches or whatever they are officially called.

I read Butch's posts, especially concerning the potential headaches of buying just any old watch that pops up. I really appreciate those who take the time to educate those of us not as knowledgable. (I bugged one of the vintage Omega experts for a long time before buying my first Omega LOL)

Anyway, I guess my question would be, are there better years to look for in these as far as reliability? I plan on actually wearing it. I realize one that has been taken care of is going to be a better bet regardless. The 1970's would be a cut off for me.

THANKS!!

Perry

Butch

Not really, it is all about what you like. The automatic is probably more valuable. Just be sure it all works. Sticky pushers are the bane of the Triple Date Moon Phase (or as I call them, 3DMP). Also be aware that they are more expensive to get serviced too.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

pknopp

Quote from: Butch on November 11, 2012, 01:03:32 PM
Not really, it is all about what you like. The automatic is probably more valuable. Just be sure it all works. Sticky pushers are the bane of the Triple Date Moon Phase (or as I call them, 3DMP). Also be aware that they are more expensive to get serviced too.

I've been reading where you have service on these covered.  :)

I prefer automatics but I would be OK with a manual in one of these I think. Again, I appreciate all the info and work you've put in here.

Unfortunately I am not in an area that has any selection at all locally for vintage watches. I'll probably have to do as much homework as I can and hope for the best on the internet.

smithrjd

It seems that they come up quite often, mostly automatics with black dials. Condition is all over the board real rough to very original. Prices seem to vary as well. Most go at around $300 to $600. Zodiac's don't quite have the same level of issues that Omega's can have however, mostly condition issues as opposed to franken or bad redials. I have seen more of this in the Triple Date Moonphase models than the Sea Wolf's. Redials poorly done for the most part.

pknopp

Not being an expert I do appreciate having sites like this to fall back on. I ended up buying my first Omega off a regular forum member because I wanted to make sure I got a good one.

Thanks

pknopp

So, new question......I've seen these with a blue moon movement and a darker one. Were they made in two (or more) colors or is this a fade?

Butch

While I was alive in the 50's, it was very young.  ;)   I would presume them to be simply faded.

pknopp

Thanks......there is a fairly nice one on eBay right now (which I imagine you've seen) but the moon movement isn't blue. I think I will wait to find one that is a nice blue. (also mentions rust which isn't a big selling point)  ;D

Butch

RUST??? RUN!!!!! This movement costs as much to service as a chronograph, you do not need to add rust into that equation.

pknopp

I'm going to pass for the reasons mentioned but I am certainly interested in your opinion of this watch Butch.

Thanks

Butch

I already passed on it due to the condition. As he has a reserve this tells me it will not go cheap either.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign