News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac pocket watch

Started by Herr_Larsson, February 07, 2013, 04:01:00 PM

Herr_Larsson

I recently bought an old Zodiac pocket watch from the swedish equivalent of ebay. I haven't seen or heard anything of Zodiac pocket watches before, so I thought that i should ask you guys if you know anything about them. I haven't seen any other posts about pocket watches here but it's a Zodiac and vintage (old anyway).

Butch

Sure, that was what Zodiac started out making in 1882. Makes sense now that I say it, right? Wrist watches came along later when they started taking women's pocket and vest watches, soldering lugs onto them and selling them as "wrist watches". Short horology lesson.

Having said that, and no offense at all meant!!! I have never come across a Zodiac pocket watch that I was willing to spend my wrist watch money on. They go for ridiculous prices (to me anyway!) for what they are. There were many other makers that had far more interesting and pretty pocket watches. If I came across one CHEAP in a yard sale or pawn shop I would buy it, but after $20 I would rather buy something else.

If you got it cheap I am jealous! It is one of the nicer looking ones that I have seen too. The condition is great it appears. FWIW, I do not own any pocket watches.

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Herr_Larsson

I am aware that they made pocket watches before wrist watches (like all watch makers at that time), but as I stated before I hadn't seen or found any information about them, more than that Zodiac supposedly invented the famous caliber 1617?

Do you know if it's that movement, or is the watch made prior to 1924?

Personally I think that every true watch lover should own at least one pocket watch. There are after all occasions when it would be appropriate to go with a pocket watch, like when wearing a tuxedo or suit. Seeing your enormous collection, a pocket watch would probably get about the same use as some of your less frequently used wrist watches (beautiful collection btw). So I have to disagree with you on pocket watches not being worth the while.

I got it for about 45 dollars.

Butch

Quote from: Herr_Larsson on February 08, 2013, 02:16:13 AM
So I have to disagree with you on pocket watches not being worth the while.

I got it for about 45 dollars.

Just not worth MY while man, I only speak for me.

And I am jealous. I would certainly have bought it at that price. Enjoy it!
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign