News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Grandfather left me this watch...

Started by Brad, March 02, 2013, 04:38:07 PM

Brad

I've had this watch for 25 years in a box and figured to get it out and check it out.  Actually forgot about it.  I really like the watch and would like to start wearing it.  I know nothing about it, though.  It works perfect.  Needs to be cleaned up a bit and the clasp tightened. 
I can't find any numbers on the watch to define a year.  Grandfather was in the Navy in the 50's and I heard he wore it then.  Any help to what I have here, how much it is worth, and the proper way it should be refurbished (if it even should be) would be greatly appreciated.  I figure a nice watch place to get it cleaned, but I know with some items, it's better to leave them untouched.  I do want to start wearing it though and would like for it to look as nice as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I just found a number on the back after looking closer: 2289477

Sea Wolf

:welc

You have a treasure there.  Make sure to read the Watch Repair tab on the top.  Use Butch's Watch Guy to service that.
It is worth around 1k.  Love that watch and hope to get one in the future.  Others will come along with better information for you.

Is the box the original Zodiac box?  That would add more value.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Brad

By box, I meant a shoe box.  Ha..  I doubt the original box exists. 
Thank you for the information!  Im interested in Butch's friend you talk about giving this a once-over.
I've tried to google ones like it and all I see are ones from the 70's.  He actually used it as a diving watch in the 50's for the NAVY so that's why I believe it is from then.

Butch

That watch is from the 1970's, and as SW said, it is indeed valuable as it appears to be in excellent condition.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Brad

Thanks for the information, Butch!  Guess he had another kind of watch back then.  What would you do, as far as getting it restored?  It is in perfect working order from what I can tell.  The dial around the outside has a couple marks and the blue painted links on the band show wear. 
Would the band need to be repainted?  Or powered coated or something that won't wear off under every day use?
Would taking the blue totally off devalue it? 
The lens and inside looks to be crystal clear and clean.
SW mentioned a guy.  I read a couple posts on here about the guy restoring these.  I don't want to devalue it, of course.  Just get it in best possible shape, because I would like to start wearing it.

Thanks!

Butch

A service definitely. As for the rest, that is up to the owner how far you want to take the restoration. As for value, if it is a family heirloom I do not see that mattering so much then.

IF you decide to get it done, send me an email and I will give you a referral.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign