News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Opinion on Sea Wolfs

Started by flyingdutchman, January 20, 2010, 05:53:43 PM

flyingdutchman

I would like YOUR opinion on which is your favorite Sea Wolf. Early models, later models, white dial or black, SS bezel or enamel, with date or not. We all have an opinion on this subject. Then I would like to know which is most desirable of collectors because of rarity or other attributes.

My favorite is an early model Sea Wolf , white dial and no date function, SS Bezel. Still working on getting one. Ha Ha.

Butch

Well, the rarer ones are like the early one I have what shows the signed movement and with diver's stretch band.
Another is the black and orange dial, orange and white square hands, and metal or enamel bezel with orange markings.
The coffin shaped SST Sea Wolf.
And of course, the Super Sea Wolf, and really rare, is the Super Sea Wolf Chrono.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

:P butch--you covered it ALL brother!! i like em all too. i only own one which is the early ( 1968 ) black dial/ date and " bead " bracelet with the brass chrome plated bezel which of course has the brass showing on the edges!! ihope to get a nice white dial no date someday-like the white dial/ black hands.

flyingdutchman

I would imagine the most common Sea Wolfs is what most of us have and cherish. I do notice they are getting less available and more and more money to purchase. Even ones without an original bracelet and that need much work. Someday they will be all gone to collectors and rarely up for purchase. I hope my kids will appreciate the watches I give them someday!

Ken Genender

We loved the SEA WOLF,  especially the older models.  But the SUPER SEA WOLF was outstanding and we really did justice to the 2000 model that we produced.  Be mindful of this,  all of the ZODIACS that we produced were inspired by the best elements of former models.  We did everything possible to produce quality watches that maintained the historical value,  the pedigree of the brand.  There were about 1000 to 2000 of each model produced during 1999 and 2000.  The limited production makes these models quite rare and NOS of them are sought after.  Rgds, KG

flyingdutchman

I do appreciate all Zodiacs, even the new. But there is nothing like having your favorite vintage on your wrist ticking away like it were new. Thank you for your input, that's what I was looking for when I posted this topic. Just hearing from different people and their idea of a favorite. "Everyone has an opinion....everyone has an ...hole too!", as the saying goes. Thanks so much for yours.....your opinion that is. FD

Spike

My fave is a non-date black face Seawolf with either a grey or white-ish grey enamel bezel. I have 4 of them.

flyingdutchman

We may have the same taste. Mid to late 60's, white dial, no date,SS bezel. Wanna sell one....Rockafellaaaaa? Just kidding.........no really.   FD

JDS (Ohio)

My favorite Sea Wolves are, predictably, the ones I can never seem to find in good condition, at the same time I have uncommitted funds:

• Early 1970s enamel bezel Sea Wof, dauphin hands, and black dial with the arabics in the lumed triangles at 3-6-9-12.  If you ever can find one without damage or discoloration to the bezel enamel, then the bezel edges are brassed all to heck.  I am not aware of anyone ever successfully replating and re-enameling those bezels (if anyone knows of someone who actually has done it, I'm all ears).   But the few photos I've seen of them in mint condition are sheer beauty.
    • Sea Wolf chronograph - looks like a Super Sea Wolf 75 ATM case, but is a chronograph, and has just "Sea Wolf" on the dial.  AWSome!
    • Early '60s Sea Wolf with the partially spring loaded clasp.  Same bezel condition issue as with the enamel, and the bracelets (if still with the watch) are usually toast.
    • Finally, one I actually have and that is in sterling condition: the 1980s-90s blue dot Sea Wolf - a picture of mine below.  Mine is in pewter/charcoal dial; now I want the same in a black dial too.

[/list]

The problem with restoring any of these critters is pretty much the same: no replacement parts available.  NOS replacement bezels or bracelets are pure unobtainium, and between chrome plated and brushed bezels and the enamel, refurbishing seems impractical.  In fact, I think the only bezels I've seen that are un-brassed or with undamaged enamel are the ones in Butch's gallery. 
John

flyingdutchman

Those are all beautiful Zodiacs. I find such a range of ideas on ones favorite. Thanks you for your pics. We all appreciate seeing part of ones collection. FD

jon p

;D i also have a blue dot in stainless like yours but mine is the white dial, and gold trim on bracelet and bezel.the hands and dial markers are also gold. i really like your all stainless with charcoal  dial. it is a very high quality automatic-i believe eta 25j- and the construction overall is great. i believe this may be the one butch said to be careful with because crowns can strip and there are no spare parts. someone please correct me if i am wrong.

JDS (Ohio)

Jon, I think you are right - crown stripping could be THE fatal accident for a blue point Sea Wolf, from what Butch said; I've been extra careful with mine since he posted that.

The other weird thing about these is that many are in a 34mm case, and a few others, like mine, are in a 38mm case.  Both are listed as men's sized watches in auction usually, but very few men will find the 34mm to their taste; with a dive beze added, 34mm doesn't usually allow enough dial area for most of us.  So you need to ask some very specific questions about them before bidding or buying, so you'll not have any surprises.  I actually got a clearer answer by asking the seller to measure the lug width, usually much easier than case diameter without the crown, and extrapolate from that.
John

jon p

there were 3 sizes of these--small medium and large--there is a link on here to an old zodiac catalog--i remember it but havent found the post again. good pics of all 3 together. i am with you, i am being very careful with my crown !!

Spike

Here's a couple of my Sea Wolfs.

Gary

Spike...Great picture.  Brings back a lot of memories.  Your Sea Wolves look in great condition....Gary

jon p

nice seawolfs,and your background display is fantastic. what were the snaps for on both sides of the watch ? the compass really sets it off.is this actually your uniform shirt--NAM ?

Spike

Jon, no, this isn't my shirt. I collect Navy UDT/SEAL items from the Vietnam war and this is just one of many shirts in my collection that I thought would make a nice backround. The snaps are for a leather cover to be worn over the watch during night ops. I use the cover to protect my watches when I do things that might bang up the watch. These covers were home made, usually by individual UDT/SEAL guys.

Nalu

Note that this style of covered leather strap, what I call a 'bush strap', are still available commercially and were issued items (used for watches and compasses) in the Rhodesian Army and possibly ZA units (trying to confirm the latter).

After much thought I have to declare the most recent (100ATM) SSW as my favorite. The 20mm lugs and ubiquitous Dixi case of the 75ATM SSW let it down somewhat, though it is a strong second. The unique design of the modern SSW, the (later) use of fluorescent red paint on the dial and the (also later) 'shell' bracelet all mark a high point of the fading Zodiac line.

Searching for a Zodiac Libra!

jon p

spike--very interesting collection ! i collect model planes from the nam era and i like to study everything from that period. i was in the army 1968-1974 and by the grace of god i ended up stationed in germany.

Spike

I'm going to Europe in May/June and I don't want to take my 7016 Tudor watch so I use my Zodiac's, I did this in Europe in 2008 and in S. America last year. I REALLY need to find someone who REALLY can work on them to make them water proof. Don't care what the crown would look like. My Sea Wolf worked great in both Europe and S.A. They are great little watches and the compass makes it look cooler.

jon p

butches watch repair guy can do ANYTHING you need on any zodiac.he can make them look and work like new.he has done work for a lot of members including my GMT. try him,you WILL be pleased.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign