News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Hello, I am new to this Forum and have a question.

Started by Woodlands1, January 31, 2011, 04:03:57 PM

Woodlands1

I have a nice collection of vintage watches that includes a number of vintage automatic and early quartz Technos and Rados, so I am not new to watch collecting. 

Recently, I saw a couple of Zodiac SST models up for auction. Liking the style, I decided to acquire both watches. One watch operates fine, but the other has issues. So, where better to find possible answers than to ask the experts on this forum.

So here goes... the watch with issues is a SST 36000 model with the Zodiac 86 movement (or maybe 88, I presume they are the same other than day vs. day-date feature). The problem is that the hour and minute hands do not rotate. They set freely with no problem using the crown. Also, the second hand operates as it should. But, the movement will not drive the hands. I have not taken the rear cover off of the watch, as it is good condition and I don't want to risk scratching the case back.

Do any of you have any ideas, or does this sound like a problem that the 86 movement has?

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I look forward to being a part of this Zodiac enthusiast community.

Woodlands1

Sea Wolf

Welcome to the site!

I am not a watchmaker but I do know a watch like that, needs a good servicing from the sounds of it.

Most everyone here uses Butch's watch guy (BWG) to service and repair our vintage Zodiacs.  Click on Watch Repair at the top of the navigation and read about it.  You can contact Butch on that page and he'll get in touch with the zodiac repair master we all use.

BWG can for sure get your watch is working order and make it look much nicer that it already is.

If you can post pics, others with more knowledge than me can give you better input.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

jon p

welcome to the forum, always nice to sign up a new zodiac owner! i am sure the problem with your watch is a worn canon pinion-- i had a sea wolf that did the same thing and that was the problem. send your watch to our watchmaker as he IS THE zodiac expert. contact butch for the details, he has restored 4 watches so far for me, 3 zodiacs and a vintage bel air diver and i am really pleased! the SSTs are fine high beat movements that will keep very accurate time when adjusted and cleaned. let us know how it turns out.   JON P

Woodlands1

Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like I need to get in touch with your recommended watch repair person.

Woodlands1

The watch is on the way to BWG for evaluation and repair. Thank you for the information.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign