News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

New Kid ~ Vintage GMT

Started by sweetdaddyroses, April 27, 2011, 11:32:00 PM

sweetdaddyroses

Greetings!

I discovered this forum quite by accident just a few days ago. I also re-discovered an old Aerospace GMT that I had purchased while I was in the military--bought it in an Army PX--and had given it to my father as a gift. When he passed many years ago it was one of his possessions that I hung on to. I remember he told me that the original band didn't fit his wrist, so he put a Speidel Twist-O-Flex band on it and threw the original away. If memory serves, I also had an issue with the original band before I gave it to him. In any event, here I am and I thought that I might share a couple of photographs I took of my Zodiac, circa 1965 or possibly 66?

When my father died I just tossed this baby into an old jewelry box and that is where it has sat for over 20 years. Until this past weekend, that is. So it has not been cleaned, serviced or in any way tampered with by anyone for all those years. Like I said, I gave it to my dad around '65 or '66. He wore it until he passed in 1989. I don't believe that he ever had it serviced? Remarkably it started running as soon as I took it out of the box. I set the time but not the date once, 3 days ago, and then put it back in the box until I took it out today to take the pictures.

I might be interested in either selling it or having it restored? Perhaps someone reading this can point me in the direction of a gifted artisan who could paint the bezel ring or perhaps just make it look pretty again? Obviously it needs a complete cleaning and servicing. I should also mention that said bezel ring is completely frozen. I presume that more than half a century of accumulated crud is responsible for that?

So, that's my story and this is my Vintage Zodiac Aerospace GMT.

jon p

8) great story, and great watch,too bad about the original bracelet! you have an early 60s GMT, the metal bezel, skinny hands and arrow tipped gmt hand date it. white dial is rarer than the black, yours looks in good shape, it needs a new crystal. we have a watchmaker in CA who is THE zodiac guru. the watch needs cleaning/service and the bezel needs help for sure. probably will clean up, it is chrome plated brass so it shoul be ok. you have to decide how bad you want to restore it, it will NOT be inexpensive to do correctly but you will end up with a pretty valuable white dial gmt if you do. dont run it till it is serviced, it will just do damage to the DRY movement. these watches requir a service about every 5 years. contact BUTCH about our watchmaker, see  the repair heading on the forum. welcome to our group, you may have been bitten by the zodiac bug!!

sweetdaddyroses

thanks, jon!

i appreciate your reply and advice. i am struggling to remember exactly when i purchased this watch. i was in the army from 1963 through 1966 and, as i already mentioned, i bought it in an army PX. it may have been in '64? so i agree that it would have to be an early '60's model.

since i don't wear a watch i will most likely sell this one. i guess the question that looms large in my mind is whether it would be to my advantage to restore it before attempting to sell it or just sell it as is?

since i live in california i will attempt to find the zodiac "guru" and seek his advice.

cheers!

*sdr*

jon p

save your money if you arent keeping it for yourself!  people are looking for them to restore, i would sell it as is. you are probably looking at 250.--300. cost to restore depending on what it needs just a basic cleaning is right at 100. plus new crystal, refinish bezel, new pinion, etc. believe me , i just went through this with 2 sea wolfs of my own. you can sell it right here on our forum where you have a zodiac fan audience!  i just had my gmt black dial restored, it is the same vintage as yours. let me get the ball rolling, i offer you $80.00 + postage in "as is" condition!! your friend, jon p

sweetdaddyroses

jon,

forgive my slow response time on your offer. at this time i will decline to sell it opting instead to seek a reasonable restoration. i am currently awaiting a response from butch that will put me in touch with his zodiac authority here in california. thank you, though.

cheers,

*sdr*

jon p

SOUNDS LIKE THE ZODIAC BUG HAS BITTEN YOU, GOOD MOVE AND A GOOD INVESTMENT WHEN ITS RESTORED. GET RID OF THAT HAIR PULLER BRACELET!!! THERE ARE A LOT OF NICE 17MM BRACELETS OUT THERE AND AFTER YOU RESTORE IT IT WILL DESERVE A NICE BAND. THE GMT IS A GOOD ONE TO RESTORE. IT IS AN INTERESTING WATCH WITH A LOT OF HISTORY AND ONE WHICH WILL ONLY GO UP IN VALUE. I LOVE MY BLACK DIAL, AFTER BUTCHS WATCH GUY GOT FINISHED WITH IT IT IS ONE OF MY VERY FAVORITES.   YOUR FRIEND, JON P

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign