News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Quick set date cal.86

Started by bumo79, August 17, 2023, 04:06:07 AM

bumo79

Hello.

I have 9 SST models. In all of them is cal.86. Most of them are in working order and keep time because once every three/four years I take them for service. I've noticed that over time I'm starting to have a problem of the type that the quick set date stops working, and on two models when setting the time the crown has completely come out of the case, even though I did it very gently. My question is whether I am doing something wrong, or maybe there is some user manual that I am not aware of ?
For example, the prohibition of setting the date at certain times for this caliber.
I hope the movement is not damaged and it is repairable.
All comments and advice welcome.
I can't find anything about it on the forum.
Thank You. Dawid
Zodiac Watches Polska

Ultra-Vintage

Hi Dawid.  One possibility is overuse of the quickset feature.  The quickset on the "B" and SST movements is pretty durable overall, but its design means that with each use you are slightly rotating the detent screw back and forth (the detent is what keeps the stem in the movement) as the stem is pushed in and released.

It is possible that with a lot of use the detent loosens and will allow the stem to pull out.  I always tell customers that the quickset is mainly to be used a few times here and there to catch up the date or advance it at the end of a short month.  However, using the quickset to advance 10-20 days each time you put the watch on could increase the chance over time that the stem may pull out and will have to be reinstalled by re-tightening the detent screw.

bumo79

Ultra Vintage thank you very much for your reply. I always handle the quick set date very gently and try not to abuse this function. Unfortunately, I don't know, how the previous owners of my SSTs worked, as none of the watches have been in my hands since new. I hope that after tightening the crown it will work again and the movement has not been damaged. Regards.
Zodiac Watches Polska

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign